Efalex Improves Social Responses and Attention in Children and Adolescents
Objective: To determine the efficacy and safety of Efalex to reduce symptoms of autism and to determine the relationship between blood fatty acid status and treatment response.
- Open lobe.
- 4 1 children aged 7- 18 years (36 boys and S girls) with Autism Spectrum Disorder (AS D) is diagnosed by a licensed child psychiatrist based on DSM-IV criteria.
- IS mL of Efalex Liquid twice doily providing a doily dose of 840 mg do cosohexoenoic acid (DHA), 192 mg eicosohexoenoic acid (EPA), 66 mg arochidonic acid (AA). 144 mg gom mo./ino/enic acid (GLA), 60 mg vitamin E and 3 mg of rhyme oil for 12 weeks.
- No concurrent behavioural therapy.
- Social Responsiveness Scale-Parent (SRS-P) – Assesses social awareness cognition, communication, motivation autistic mannerisms and added scores provide a total score.
- Measures anxious/depressed symptoms. Withdrawn depressed symptoms, somatic problems, social problems, thought problems attention problems, rule-breaking behaviours, aggressive behaviours.
- A higher ratio of omega-3 LC-PUFAs:Total LC-PUFAs and higher DHA following treatment Blood Fatty Acid Composition.
- Ratio of AA:EPA, Rouo of Omego-3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFAs);Total LC.PU FAs.EPA and DHA.
- The results obtained at the start and end of the study were compared.
- All 5 of the core symptoms autism is assessed by the SRS-P significantly.
- Two of the 8 co-morbid symptoms is assessed by the CBQ significantly improved and there was a trend towards improvement in others.
- A higher ratio of omega-3 LC-PUFAs:Total LC-PUFAs and higher DHA following treatment was associated with decreased symptom severity.
Those with the lowest baseline omega-3 LC-PUFA stows achieved the greatest benefit.
Conclusion: Efalex can safely and effectively reduce autism symptoms. For more Information: Call +44 (0) 1312 319 828 or Visit www.efomol.com
Efamol Ltd., Cedar Court Office Park, Denby Dale Road, Wakefield WF4 308, UK